Sunday, May 22, 2011

Thoughts: Energy Efficiency

While watching the Deep Clean, during class, I thought it was really interesting about the architectural side of being sustainable with energy. I was surprise that China was making great progress in trying to use sustainable practices. When people think of China, they usually think of how fast they are industrializing and the amount of oil plants are being produce. But hear that they are being more sustainable buildings and people trying to help become more activist toward the environment was a nice sigh of relief. I was also surprise to learn that building take up so much of our energy. It would be the least expected thing that I would expect would take up so much energy. After reading MacKay’s Without the Hot Air, it made more sense, for example he brings up the point how old houses are not energy efficient because they have little holes and cracks that would let the cold or hot air leak out of the house.

The OHSU (Oregon Health and Sciences University) is one of the greenest buildings nationally. It is over sixty-one percent more energy efficient than the require Oregon Code and LEED standards. What I found very impressive is how a place where medical research center and school could be so energy efficient. I would say that anything medical would get a pass-by for being sustainable because they have other things to worry about, but when a medical center like OHSU is sustainable, should mean that all buildings being built should be sustainable too. Even though it might cost more money to build, in the long run the electrical bill will be lower and you could save a lot of money and help contribute to a healthy earth.

It is amazing to see how much energy could be saved if people decide to use more sustainable practices. This will be an important component in a healthy and sustainable world. This week help me realize that maybe I should go back into architecture to create more energy efficient buildings that would also look really cool. I am looking forward to seeing what other sustainable practices will occur in the architecture world in the future.






No comments:

Post a Comment